Skip to main content

Knowing God Through My Experiences!

                I have shared my testimony here many times of how I was diagnosed with brain tumour at 20yrs while studying engineering and then again it recurred after 3yrs and how my dad was diagnosed with blood cancer exactly 10 months after my 2nd surgery. The storms kept hitting from my 20th yr and ended with my dad’s passing due to cancer in my 30th year. There were my surgeries, MRI’S, treatments, Dad’s chemotherapies, ICU’s, hospital visitations, endless and countless reports and then dad’s cancer relapsing just before my sister’s marriage and he passing away in 2020. So I and my sister somewhere stopped believing anything good would ever happen to us. Our brains became wired to expect only the worst news possible for our family. We felt like we were praying to a God who had abandoned us as a family and we just had to exist!

          I didn’t doubt God’s existence.  I did pray but  subconsciously somewhere along the way I stopped expecting and hoping good from God. I can’t remember of a single year from 2009 which didn’t involve hospital visitations or at times one family member being admitted in the ICU. And everything stopped with Dad’s passing away. I prayed and hoped for dad’s healing but that didn’t happen. I have been praying for my complete healing and restoration of health for 13yrs now and that’s not happening either. (I still struggle with balance and co-ordination and therefore can’t balance myself and walk, along with many other nerve conditions).

     I am still learning and knowing and tasting God’s goodness through my experiences and these are the 5 major things I understood:

1)    I DON'T HAVE TO UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING TO TRUST GOD.  God has never asked us to understand everything that is happening to us and around us and all our circumstances and then trust him. HE just wants us to trust him. The book of Job tells us that. We see Job asking God ‘why was he suffering?’ (Job 3-31).  We know the reason why he was in pain. We know Job chapter 1 and the scene in heaven and the dialogues between God and Satan but Job didn’t know any of that. He kept demanding and appealing to God for an answer. God did not condemn Job for crying out in his pain. God did answer Job in a whirlwind (Job 38:1). And although God responded with questions about HIS power over his creation, nature, animals, the earth's foundations or vastness of the universe compared to human understanding,  HE did not answer the specific "why" questions Job was asking.

     We know that God is a good God and we place our trust in God’s character. Moreover I believe a certain uncertainty is required for our faith to be completely activated. If I already have a back-up plan, I don’t have to rely on God and trust him completely. It is only when I am uncertain about my future, about my tomorrow, when I don’t have a bank balance to fall back on, I am struggling to see a future beyond the suffering and pain, I will exercise my complete faith and trust Him! Only then will I live by faith and not by sight (2 Corinthians 5:7). Only then will I be able to look beyond my now, beyond my present physical circumstances and move forward and not be stuck!

2)    DON'T LEAVE GOD .  Be near HIM. Stick with HIM.  Do whatever you have to i.e., stand or sit or crawl or kneel or lie down at the foot of the cross but always stick to him even if you don't understand.  I am again reminded of Job's life. When a series of disasters and losses happened one after the other and he lost all 10 of his children (Job 1:13 onwards) all in a single day; he fell down in worship (Job 1:13).  I could not resonate with that. I have fallen on the ground but never was it as an act of worship. Infact when my dad passed away, I didn’t read the bible for months. But when Job’s sufferings prolonged, he questioned GOD wanting to know why he was in this suffering. He cursed the day he was born (Job 3:1). Now that was something I could easily relate to. Job questioned , argued and accused God of injustice and of being against him and complained directly to God. His prayers show us the depth of his pain and confusion, He could not reconcile why all these terrible things had happened to him and demanded an explanation from God himself. But with all this we see he never left God’s side. He didn’t curse God and die like his wife said(Job 2:9). Job was lamenting to God but he never left GOD. 

      Personally, I was always ‘okay’ with my brain-tumour but was ‘not okay’ with my Dad’s diagnosis. I complained, cried , reasoned, argued with God. Be vulnerable and honest with GOD. He doesn't want a 'put on' or 'façade'. We cannot fool HIM who knows our heart. He knows exactly how we feel and all our emotions. Being raw, unpolished, real , genuine and honest with God and bringing raw grief, anguish and honest questions to God in prayer is a form of faith, not a sin!  But no matter what, Never leave HIM. Like Job said in 13 verse 15, ‘Though he slay me yet will i trust him….’. We trust God’s wisdom and sovereignty even when we do not understand why we suffer.

3)    THE IMPORTANCE OF HAVING FELLOWSHIP. Surround yourself with people who pray for you. When the sufferings get too hard and too much and you question everything including your existence and you are too tired and exhausted to pray, your fellow family believers will rise up and intercede for your family as their own. When I was suddenly diagnosed with tumor, I don’t remember my mom and dad ever being alone for my MRI or doctor appointments but like shadows to them my church elders were always present with them. My entire church gathered every evening at my place, fasted, knelt down, raised hands and cried loudly and prayed as if their own daughter was sick. My church showed me what it meant to pray for others as their own by literally being present, keeping aside everything but taking time after their work to come and  join hands and cry and pray in unison. More than me it was an encouragement and support to my parents reminding them through actions that they were not alone. They were not only physically present but also brought food, washed dishes, cooked and cleaned if needed. When something like a brain-tumor or cancer happens, one really can’t change the circumstances or take the suffering and pain away of the person or family but 'by being present with your time' and not just saying ‘I will pray for you’ can really bring comfort to the family.

4)    OUR GOAL IS ETERNITY; BEING A HEAVEN CITIZEN. This is not our home and we are just journeying through earth.  Our focus is eternity, being with God eternally and suffering is needed for steadfastness, for humility, for setting us apart i.e. sanctification process. It is necessary for our growth as a Christian. As difficult it is to hear and understand but our faith will be challenged and tested and we will be subjected to pruning on earth because he is preparing our souls for heaven, for our home, for eternity with HIM. And moreover Paul reminds us in 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 that ‘we do not loose heart’ because our troubles and sufferings are ‘light which is but for a moment’ and '..... we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.’

5)     GOD IS IN CONTROL;  When negative reports would come in and  when circumstances didn’t make sense , I would remind myself that God is in control. I would tell myself that this is not to harm me but to better me and I have a future (Jeremiah 29:11). God’s intention is to never harm us or make us suffer, but he has a plan and purpose for everything. 

         Every single thing that we go through in life has a reason that only God knows! But I know this, it is for our benefit , for our edification. It is for our humility as sufferings remind us of our limitations and keeps our pride in check. It is for our complete dependence on Sovereign God. It makes us shift our focus from temporary perishable things to our eternal hope. It produces endurance and character (Romans 5:3-4). It sanctifies us, purifies our souls (1 Peter 1:6-7) Experiencing trials equips us to empathize with others and comfort other believers so that we can be useful vessels for his kingdom. (2 Corinthians 1:3-4). And above all it brings God glory (Romans 8:17-18) because Christ’s power is made perfect in weakness(2 Corinthians 12: 9-10).

           We worship a good God who knows our every pain, every feeling, every thought of weary, every emotion, our heart, our intentions, our temptations, our doubts, our fear and he alone can give us hope, genuine joy and peace that passes all understanding.  I have hope. Hope that I will get better on earth, that someday I will walk properly with complete balance but even if that doesn’t happen, I know I have the Great Hope of Eternity with HIM!

              For me the bigger question that kept lingering was ’what if God doesn’t do that big miracle that I have been asking and praying for? Will I still trust HIM with everything?

    

Comments

Anonymous said…
You are absolutely right. Your sufferings are not in vain. May this testimony bring many to trust God Almighty for who He is🙏
Jeena said…
Thank u , yes just like u i am going through a season where I try to get up and the next blow awaits so i live in Fear and anxiety .But at the same time I know I need to just let go and trust Him.But it’s a difficult life changing process and God help us
Blessy Mary said…
Yes Amen. Thank -you!!
Anu said…
Wow… that’s awesome my dear… what a way to testify God… it is like he gave you a story to tell others..you will never know the impact till years later someone quotes your testimony in their journey and how it impacted them…. It is a full circle my dear… so very proud of you….♥️

Popular posts from this blog

To my Dad.........

                 Seeing your empty chair ,me turning around but not finding you sipping coffee in your lungi or not seeing you listen to songs and sermons on youtube, you not reading your Physics books..this all seems very unreal to me! I cannot  accept  this reality where you are no more, Where i can’t  see you or hear you or talk to you or hug you  everyday.  Its almost a month since I have heard you call me Blessy!             Turning 31 today, without you,your physical presence,without you placing your hand on my head and praying @12 midnight,like every year ...... And thinking that it's going to be like this from now on is breaking me!             Over the past 10 yrs,i have many dates  fixed in my head, 11th May 2009, when I was suddenly diagnosed with a rare brain tumor, 25th May  ...

Be Like Jesus Series - His Prayer Life!

          Mark 1: 35 (NIV)" Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up,  left the house and went off to a solitary place,  where he prayed ." This prayer was done after a busy day of ministry, including healing many people and casting out demons late into the night. This shows that even for Jesus, power and purpose came from his private time spent with God i.e. power to do his ministry and his purpose because following this prayer, when his disciples found him and said everyone was looking for him, Jesus stated that he needed to go to the nearby villages to preach, which was the purpose for which he came. This action shows the importance of prayer in Jesus's life, a habit of seeking private devotion with God. It shows Jesus’s dependence on God and he was prioritizing his relationship with the Father.          It is mentioned "as usual" (Luke 22:39-41 NIV) Jesus went to a so...

THE BIGGER PICTURE!

                                                             As I was reading the passage from 1 peter 5: 5- 11(NKJV), which is about Submitting To God And Resisting The devil , the latter half of verse 10 said “……after you have suffered for a while; perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you.’ I got stuck on the phrase ‘suffered fo r a while’.       Lately my mind has been wrestling with that word ‘while.' I know of God’s goodness. I have tasted and experienced it personally, I know of God’s Sovereignty. I know that nothing is impossible with God. There is not an iota of doubt in my mind about his capability to perform miracles or HIS grace or HIS mercy or HIS perfect ways or HIS perfect time. BUT it’s been 13 years since my last brain-surgery, since I have walked around witho...